Saturday, March 22, 2014

What has Jenifer made?

Introductory posts are so awkward. If we were in person, I'd take you to my craft room and I could do my display of what I've done with five year-old glee of "Look what I made!!"

I still squeal with delight when I finish a project and run around the house searching for my husband going, "LOOOOK!"  And I'm in my 30's but it never gets old, holding the finished item knowing you've taken something from concept to realization, it's something you can hold, squeeze, love and hand off to someone to love as well.

Until recently, I worked mostly in the fiber crafts: crocheting and knitting. Two of items I finished in December as Christmas presents have the CUTEST models.

First, my nephews, E and E, who are rough and tumble guys that love to imagine that they are ferocious wild beasts when they play, so I designed two cute tiger hats with a Knit Picks finger weight yarn that looked like Tiger stripes. This had been sitting on my yarn shelf for a while waiting for the right project and it was perfect!

The other item I finished knitting recently went to a wee one who needed a sweater to fight off the cold that has been plaguing most of the country this past winter. My friend Lynn was due in December and I couldn't wait to knit up a lovely sweater for her youngest-son-to-be, she has three boys who are all ADORABLE, and she honored me by putting this small sweater and hat as the going home outfit.
I apologize that I don't remember the name of the yarn but I'm thinking it's Spud and Chloe sweater yarn.

I also made a lot of aprons, bags and quilted iPad covers for Christmas but unfortunately, I need to get my photos rounded up because that is a fault of mine. I get so excited about a project, I want to give it away immediately or forget to photograph it.  I promise I'm working on that failing because I want to remember all the things I've made and I want to share them with you all!

Since January, I've been in a full-on quilt mode.  My goal this year is to give our loved ones lap quilts for Christmas. As you can imagine, this is QUITE an undertaking. I finished my first quilt in January for my Mother-in-law who loves Christmas.  I took advantage of the post-Holiday sales and snapped up the fabric from the Moda line Countdown to Christmas. 
I was lucky enough to get the world famous Lola Rocket (and by world, I mean our house) to model the finished project!  I can't wait to give this to my lovely Mother-in-law in November!  I really lucked out in the In-law lottery.

I can't wait to share more of my projects with you and I'm hoping to give you a video tour of my crafting space soon.

Now my question of the post: What inspired you all to start crafting?



9 comments:

  1. My mom inspired me! She's always making something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what inspired me, I just always have crafted. But hands-down the reason I keep at it is for those "look what I made moments" too! Heck, that's why I blog so I have someone to say that to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - my husband doesn't understand how exciting it is when I finish a project! That's one of the reasons I started blogging. Any time my mom or MIL come over, they have to do the tour of my craft room so I can show off everything :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay - that sweater is ADORABLE! What a perfect going home outfit! I grew up in a home where crafting and creating was the norm.... but my current passion - sewing - really started about 4 years ago as friends and co-workers started having babies. I sewed up little gifts here and there - and people started BEGGING me to sell what I make..... so I gave it a go! Over 3 years later and I still laugh on a regular basis at the fact I'm sewing almost daily. And I definitely still get the giddy "whoa - look at what I MADE!", too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore that aqua sweater! If I had a friend that made stuff like that, you can bet my baby would have worn it home from the hospital as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sweater is so beautiful!! I started crafting... because my Mom did! I just grew up that way, thankfully :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those hats!! Wish I could knit - I'm a lefty, just can't make my hands cooperate!

    I have no idea why I started crafting - because I wanted to make baby blankets when I was pg, I guess! :) I've always been interested in sewing and embroidery, thankfully my grandma taught me that and I taught myself to sew just a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not much of a crafter. I do sew, knit and quilt, but I'm not very crafty the way my friends are. I am inspired to sew, knit and quilt on whims and needs. I wish all of my needs were met by my whims and whims met by my needs, but it doesn't work that way for me.
    As for running through the house to show your newest project, I still do that in my mid-forties. It isn't bragging, but amazement that it turned our.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for your projects on a blog! You're so talented.

    I grew up watching my mom and aunt cross stitch and I started with that during a summer vacation when I was 7. This is going to sound so cheesy, but I think the Little House on the Prairie series is what inspired me to want to sew. I'm a total novice, but the idea of being able to make things for myself, my kids and my home is really appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete